How to apply for SRD SASSA R350 Grant
Social Relief of Distress (SRD) grants
Applications for the special COVID-19 Social Relief of Distress grant are only electronic. If you need assistance to apply, SASSA staff and appointed volunteers can assist.
The Special COVID-19 Social Relief of Distress amount is R350 per month, from the date it is approved. Applicants will be paid from the month in which they apply – there will be no back pay.
Applicants must be:
- South African Citizens, Permanent Residents or Refugees registered with Home Affairs;
- Resident within the borders of the Republic of South Africa;
- Above the age of 18;
- Not receiving any income;
- Not receiving any social grant;
- Not receiving any unemployment insurance benefit and does not qualify to receive unemployment insurance benefits;
- Not receiving a stipend from the National Student Financial Aid Scheme;
- Not receiving any other government COVID-19 response support; and
- Not resident in a government-funded or subsidized institution.
What information is required:
- Identity Number;
- Name and Surname as captured in the ID (and initials);
- Gender and Disability;
- Banking details – Bank Name and Account Number;
- Contact details – Cell phone number;
- Proof of Residential Address;
SASSA does not require any applicant to scan in supporting documents such as ID, proof of address or bank statements.
By lodging a R350 grant application, applicants give consent for SASSA to validate the financial and other information against data sources held by government and financial institutions – including SA Revenue Services and banks.
The provision of false information in an effort to qualify for the grant is an offense and will result in prosecution.
How to apply:
Apply here online or
- No paper-based applications will be accepted.
- Payment will be effected through a channel of your choice.
- Citizens without bank accounts can also apply. In this case, payment will be effected through a money transfer, once all the necessary validations have been completed.
- Once applications are approved, SASSA will request confirmation of bank account through a secure site – this will also be done electronically.
- Any applicant has the right to request confirmation that this request is from SASSA to protect themselves.
- APPLICATIONS ARE FREE: There is no charge to apply – applicants are cautioned not to buy “application forms” – these are not genuine and will not be processed.
- Applicants are cautioned not to provide their banking details to anyone.
- SASSA will only request banking information once the application has been approved.
- All beneficiaries and applicants should never give their PIN number or the CVV number on the back of the banking card to anyone – not even SASSA.
Change payment preference
- change from one payment method to another
- opt from receiving the grant at the Post Office to a bank account of their choice or vice versa
- move their payments from one bank to another
- choose a cash send option using a cellphone registered in their name only
Change your payment preference by visiting https://srd.sassa.gov.za